Morning News Program Host
KBCS seeks a radio broadcasting professional to live host our morning drive time programing. An expert broadcast announcer and board operator, the morning drive host has an engaging mic presence and is able to present third-party news/talk and information; as well as assemble and deliver real time news, weather and traffic updates. The host will also handle live promotional and underwriting announcements, participate in live fund drives, and manage emergency alert response tests. This position reports to the News & Public Affairs Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Research, consolidate, edit and announce news and information copy
- Operate the control board and digital playback system
- Work with the News & Public Affairs Director to select relevant content and potential subject matter.
- Edit audio using Adobe Audition
- Manage playlist software
- Assume a key role in on-air fund drives, meeting all assigned objectives
- Actively contribute to editorial meetings
- Deliver public service announcements, underwriting and promos live on-air
- Maintain the program log
- Use social media
- Other duties as assigned
- 2 years of radio broadcasting experience
- Prior digital audio editing experience
- Prior experience with live, on-air interviews
- Bachelor’s degree or 8 years of relevant on air radio experience
- Familiarity with ENCO; or other radio automation software, digital audio playback and playlist systems
- Prior experience with on-air fund drives
- Ability to write conversational copy for broadcast
- Understanding of public media norms, conventions, and regulations
- Ability to work independently and under deadline pressure
- Ability to work well with others
- Familiarity with AP stylebook
- Commitment to high journalistic ethical standard
- Ability to identify compelling stories for broadcast and online audiences
- Ability to work with CD players and libraries
- Understanding of social media best practices
- Detail-oriented with solid time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated support for diversity and inclusion
- Excellence in written and oral communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changes in technology and workflow
This a part time, hourly position, with no benefits. The pay rate is $20 per hour, 17 hours a week maximum.
To apply, please the following materials by Friday, March 9th. Send a cover letter addressing your qualifications, and a current resume to Yuko Kodama, firstname.lastname@example.org. Write the phrase, “Morning News Program Host” in the subject line of the email. In addition, please send no more than 5 minutes of audio representing your announcing style and abilities via wetransfer.com to email@example.com. Please name the audio clips with your full name and “morning news program host”.
You can also mail your application audio files (on a USB drive) to:
Morning News Program Host
3000 Landerholm Circle SE
Bellevue WA 98007
Attn: Yuko Kodama
All applications will be reviewed by KBCS beginning March 12th. This position is open until filled, although preference will be given to complete applications received by March 9th.
Connecting you to music and ideas, KBCS is a public radio station, licensed to Bellevue College, serving the Seattle-Tacoma region.
Bellevue College does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity; creed; color; national origin; sex; marital status; sexual orientation; age; religion; genetic information; the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability; or veteran status in educational programs and activities which it operates. Bellevue College is prohibited from discriminating in such a manner by college policy and by state and federal law. All college personnel and persons, vendors, and organizations with whom the college does business are required to comply with applicable federal and state statutes and regulations designed to promote affirmative action and equal opportunity.